Tuesday, April 1, 2008

The arrival

Katie Madison Andrews was born March 29th at 11:37 am. She weighed 7 lbs. and was 19.5 inches. We are so glad to have her here and finally meet her. My water broke at about 10 PM but it was only a little bit. Since I had been having contractions and pre-labor for weeks we weren't too excited and went to bed. At midnight my water really broke and we knew Katie would be joining us in the next 48 hours. We didn't realize how quickly things would start happening. Taylor and I tried to go back to sleep and within 15 minutes my contractions started about 5-6 minutes apart. We knew sleep was out of the question so we got up to finish packing for the hospital. By 3 am my contractions were 90 seconds to two minutes long and 4 minutes apart . . . and very painful. I told Taylor it was time to go to the hospital. We called both our parents on the way in. I was not very happy about all the bumping in the car. When we arrived at the hospital I was 4 cm dilated and in a lot of pain. They admitted me and gave me some Fentanol which took the edge off the pain and made me very loopy. Within an hour I was 7 cm dilated and about to enter transition. We decided to opt for the epidural at that point which was the best decision of the night! It slowed my labor down some and allowed me to rest and truly enjoy the rest of my labor. At 9:15 the nurse told us it was time to start pushing and I was shocked. I couldn't belive we were already at that point . . . I felt great with the epidural absolutely no side effects! After a little over 2 hours of pushing Katie was with us. The epidural started to wear off at the end, but at that point I knew how close we were and didn't care. I was able to watch the entire time I was pushing because the hospital brought a mirror in. The entire process was the most amazing thing we have ever been a part of. We are so blessed and thankful to have our beautiful daughter with us!

No comments: